San Francisco, Fisherman’s Wharf & Pier 39

Saturday morning we woke up to rain, rain and more rain.  After having a terrible experience at the Claremont Hotel & Spa it was sad to see that it was raining.  (Seriously, do NOT stay at the Claremont in Oakland– to read my full review, click here).  We tried to make the best of the day but really only got to Fisherman’s Wharf for lunch before it started coming down so hard we couldn’t really be outdoors.  We retreated to our hotel, this time the Holiday Inn at Fisherman’s Wharf and watched the dreary day from the window and made plans for dinner that night. We really liked the Holiday Inn, the room was clean and the bed was comfortable.  “They” say that if you are in San Fran and it doesn’t rain then its not really a true San Francisco experience, so I would say that we definitely got the true blue experience.  Here are some of my favorite pictures from the day.  Sunday the sun peeked out a little and the rain let up, but we’ll get to those pictures tomorrow!

fresh crabs on the wharf

We walked the wharf and despite the rain and cold (it was 42 degrees) it was still a very active place….. crab stands and fresh seafood were all around us and we set out to find a place to have some chowder.  I really wanted lobster chowder and after walking around a bit we decided to eat at Nick’s Lighthouse.  For one, we were ready to be inside and sit down because we were wet and chilled to the bone.  Nick’s has a divey, hole in the wall kind of feel which I actually  really liked. I ordered the lobster chowder and husband ordered the clam chowder, both in bread bowls.  It was the perfect thing for a cold day, and BOY was it delicious.

Service was friendly and quick, we got our soup in about 5 minutes of ordering. There were chunky pieces of lobster in my chowder and it was just…..perfection.  Husband loved his clam chowder too!
Nick's Lighthouse on Urbanspoon

Pier 39 Sea Lions

Okay, so the sea lions are kind of overrated in my opinion.  They are actually kind of ugly, really loud and make these disgusting farting/vomiting/barking noises.  And they smell.  But they are part of San Fran, so we had to at least go see them….  nothing life changing though.

husband and alcatraz in the background

the bay bridge

Like I said, the next day the sun decided to come out a little bit and the rain let up so we got to see lots more things.  Check back tomorrow for part 2, “around the town” and part three “golden gate bridge and sausolito”.  Two posts tomorrow?!  I know…. its getting crazy.

Over & Out,
A
Share this PostPin on PinterestShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterGoogle+Email to someone

Comments

1. says

I love all your pictures! My hubby has ALWAYS said to me that he wants to take me to San Fran JUST for the bread bowls! haha! He went there for a visit in high school and hasn’t shut up about his experience since!

I showed him your picture of the bread bowls, he shook his head at me and said “why did you have to show that to me!?” :-)

Looks like you’re having an amazing time!

2. says

Totally feel the same way about the sea lions! Overrated! The pictures are amazing, like always. Sorry the rain was such a buzz kill!

3. says

I hate that it was so cold and rainy for your trip! I have been to SF twice and loved every minute of it. I am loving all of your pictures, especially how you edit them to make them nostalgic looking. Can I ask what program you edit in and what actions you do when you edit?

4. says

My hubz & I just booked a trip to San Fran for early September for his bday, so I’m thrilled to read your recaps. We’re so excited about going…it’s gonna be a long 5 1/2 months!!

I can’t wait to see what you thought about Sausalito. I’ve heard mixed reviews, so your opinion may be the swaying vote as to whether or not we do it. No pressure. ;)

Mendi @ Her Late Night Cravings

5. says

Ugh. It sucks SO much when hotels tack on resort fees! We stayed at the Encore in Las Vegas a couple weeks ago and they charged us about $28 on top of the $200 room! Ridiculous.

6. says

Okay, first of all – your pictures are amazing. I’m looking into getting a new lens one of these days [have to save up!] what do you suggest? Or is it the camera that makes them so magical? :)

Second of all, I stayed at the Holiday Inn Fisherman’s Wharf when I was there too!!!! No joke. What are the odds?

I loooove San Francisco and think these pictures really captured the feel of that city. The crabs, the seals, the water, the food! The soup looks and sounds delicious!! Can’t wait to see more :)

7. says

You’re photos are gorgeous!! I want to see San Francisco for myself. Can’t wait to see where you guys end up next. Praying for you all!

8. says

WE got so many of the same pics when we were there just over a week ago, it was cold and rainy also! I’ll be posting pics on Friday I think!!! I love your B&W of the Wharf!

9. says

It’s the second post I’ve seen today that makes me want chowder in a bread bowl. Your photos are so gorgeous! I especially love the black and white one of the fresh crabs on the wharf, it’s lovely.